- Otto Koivula scored two goals for Ilves in a 4-1 win over HIFK. Koivula has put up eight points in his last seven games and he’s on a four-game point streak. The New York Islanders’ fourth rounder is one goal shy of 10 goals in his rookie season. Niilo Halonen started his first Liiga game for HIFK and made 24 saves in the loss.
- Center Harri Kainulainen scored his first Liiga goal in his fifth game. The goal was a one-timer from the top of the left face-off circle on the power play. However, he only played seven minutes and 24 seconds. Before being promoted to the Liiga, Kainulainen had been a dominant force in the U20 league.
- Robin Salo played over 20 minutes for Sport in a 4-2 loss to KooKoo. Draft eligible this year, the defender took one two-minute penalty for tripping and registered three shots on goal.
- KalPa defenseman Niko Mikkola recorded one assist in nearly 20 minutes (19:48) of ice-time against Tappara. The St. Louis Blues prospect has been a pleasant surprise as he has developed into one of the league’s top blueliners this season.
- Undrafted 20-year-old right wing Sebastian Repo scored the 4-3 game-winning goal for Tappara. Repo has eight points (4 goals, 4 assists) in his last five games.
Photo: All Over Press